Synoptic Project Pre Production Presentation Part 2

The pre production presentation went well and our group got green lit so we can now go ahead and begin production on our project. To summarize the story of the group I'm in its about an agent in a future dystopian world were robots have taken over (think of Detroit Become Human.) And in a mysterious case f humans dying of due to an unknown cause Agent Palmer finds out its the pills the robots have been giving humans that have been killing them off and goes to confront his robot partner about it.

My role in the group is to build the 3D models, the android arm, drones and watch tower and then animated them, along with texturing and rendering. I also did some small tasks of filing out a risk assessment and vfx blocking list.

The first thing was the risk assessment for our outside shots in Nonsuch park, I ticked off any dangers we might face and how we could counteract them. One major risk is our fake gun so to stop people from thinking we're actually shooting someone, myself and another group member on the camera will be wearing hi vis vests and will be calling the police before hand to notify them that if they get any calls its not real.
The same was done for the Nescot entry were we will need permission aswell.
And then in Brandon's house where there's no real danger.

The VFX blocking did cause some confusion at first as I didn't know what it was. After I did eventually get some idea I put together this. Using the models I had made and Photoshop I edited the photos we took while location scouting and put in what was VFX and explained in the box next to it.

In the presentation itself I didn't speak about this slide but I made it, due to some of us talking alot we gave this one to Emma who had the least amount of slides to cover. I wrote about what cameras we are going to use and the benefits of each one.
I did the same for the lens and mics.


The main work I did was modelling on Maya, the first drone you see was made by Frank which I then took and edited in the second picture. I wanted to add in wires and lights but I struggled with changing what someone had already made. The bottom drone is the one I made from scratch. I wanted to keep the wings Frank had made but change the main body. Finally the tower on the left is the basic model I have done so far, the main goal is to make it the same as the one in my concept art on another post.

The arms were a very big issue (still is) when it came to designing and making I debated if the style should be hi tech and sleek or robust and broken. I did do a second design of the terminators hand but I knew I was leaning more towards a modern take on it. The arm on the left was designed in Photoshop and I then did a very basic version in Maya to see how it would look. The terminator hand model was also done by Frank.

The basic animation was done by me, I wanted to test out the top of the watchtower moving with an eye at the top. This video was just one slide in the presentation so I just took the video instead of screenshotting it and also adding in the video.

I did the same with this video as well, the drones are moving around the watch tower in the scene but I did the animation before I designed the new drone.




This is the slide of the animation tests on the hand after I finished the skeleton rig. These are two examples of the videos on there, I did two tests to make sure the rig worked. One with just the fingers moving and one with the cup that will be in the final shot.

This is the rig I did for the hand. Its not an official rig but I thought it would be the easiest way to get the fingers moving in an animation. I used joints and skin binding to make it move and then weight painting to decide what joint moves what area.

This the final part of the presentation I did. I wanted to then test out the movement with a half modeled arm to see how it would fair. I can thankfully say its fine.

The overall presentation went well we did struggle to get the presentation loaded due to its 39 slides and many videos. We all contributed to the tasks and did our roles well. Although during the presentation one team member did change up the story line and confused the rest of us but we have it sorted now. I think in some areas we could have gone into more detailing with things such as planning but some of the slides were self explanatory.

As I said the presentation went well and we go the green light to carry on but we were all quite nervous to present so at times we were very awkward. The teachers didn't question us much on the project as we had everything, the only things they commented on was the special effects to make Frank more robot like and asking if we considered using an actual hand instead of a modeled hand for the bedroom scene. We all disagreed and thought it would look horrible trying to rotoscope a real hand and making it look robotic, whereas in Maya and Arnold I can use metallic textures and rendering to give it a robotic look.   









Comments

Popular Posts